[Tagging] What qualifies as crossing=unmarked

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Oct 9 18:33:55 UTC 2021

What qualifies as highway=crossing (and specifically crossing=unmarked)?

case 1, this seems to be a clear case of pedestrian crossing where
crossing=unmarked is fitting

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crossing_marked_with_a_traffic_sign_20190517_184744_HDR.jpg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6482603799#map=19/50.06621/19.93910

case 2, is crossing of footway and driveway something that can/should
be marked as highway=crossing?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:51_Edgewater_Boulevard_(36709048234).jpg

case 3, with sidewalks mapped as a separate way - is place where
separately mapped sidewalk crosses road qualifying
as highway=crossing?
Is presence of lowered kerbs or usual high kerbs changing anything?
Is legal situation with crossing road forbidden by default but specifically
allowed in such place (due to presence of road junction) changing anything?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Crossing_without_painting_on_road_with_lowered_kerbs.png
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3375872317#map=19/50.07729/19.93349

case 4 - without lowered kerbs
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Unmarked_pedestrian_crossing.jpg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/9161017171#map=19/50.07574/19.92427

I am asking this as I am unsure whether highway=crossing in cases similar to 2/3/4
- is valid and recommended
- invalid and wrong
- opinions vary and there is no clear consensus

If it is not a highway=crossing, but still a place where pedestrian can
cross a road - how this situation can be marked?

I am asking this due to
https://github.com/streetcomplete/StreetComplete/discussions/3341
- numerous people using StreetComplete are confused and not consiering
such places as pedestrian crossings.
Resulting in, well, confusion and numerous notes.
I am not entirely sure how this should be resolved.