[Tagging] Key:smokefree; does it have a purpose, or is it redundant?

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Sun Oct 10 19:54:38 UTC 2021

Does anyone know what smokefree=yes is supposed to mean in addition to
the implied meaning of smoking=no?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smokefree

From the discussion on the abandoned proposal that introduced smoking=*
as well, it looks like some mappers saw it as having an added value over
just smoking=no, but those views do not seem to be reflected on the
wiki-page, and it isn't clear to me what it is supposed to add over
smoking=no. The 'quality mark' mention (which is where it differs from
smoking=no) is a bit vague.

I've started a topic on its talk-page. If you have a clear view of what
this tag means, please consider editing the documentation. With its low
usage this tag might also be a candidate for deprecation in favour of
smoking=* though.

As it stands it is a bit confusing. I've added it to hospital grounds
myself in addition to smoking=no, but I can't remember why I thought
that might be useful (the documentation isn't helping in that regard).

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hoek