[Tagging] opening_hours and related tags: hours past 24:00

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Oct 18 07:49:35 UTC 2021

Oct 17, 2021, 23:33 by minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us:

> Vào lúc 09:52 2021-10-17, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging đã viết:
>

>> Oct 17, 2021, 18:11 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:
>>
>>  You can't expect a few of the few mappers interested in opening
>>  hours not to map what's on the sign if it's 20:00-05:00. Especially
>>  those training AI bots.
>>  I've never written a parser myself, but is it so hard to accommodate
>>  both ways?
>>  Regards,
>>  Yves
>>
>> 1) noone will be trying to train some pattern-recognition (often called AI buzzword),
>> that is a terrible choice where parsers work well
>>

> Go Map!! does use the iPhone camera and Apple's Vision framework to suggest the appropriate opening_hours value. [1] However, all Vision gives Go Map!! is the signposted text it detected as an unstructured string; it's up to Go Map!! to parse it into something machine-readable. As far as I can tell, Go Map!! requires the sign to be in proper 12- or 24-hour format, but it doesn't specifically reformat opening hours that extend past midnight.
>
> [1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2021-April/086505.html
> [2] https://github.com/bryceco/GoMap/blob/11a3f66bd9b326f7a4a1075daf81021d639092a4/src/iOS/OpeningHours/HoursRecognizer.swift#L368-L408

That makes far more sense - I thought that it would be about doing it
on opposite direction: turning opening_hours tag into a structured opening hours data
using "AI"

Turning image of opening hours sign into text, that into structured opening hours and
asking user for confirmation makes far more sense and I should thought about it.