[Tagging] Is there a tag for marking whether pharmacy allows to leave old medicines?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 21:50:49 UTC 2021

Am Sa., 23. Okt. 2021 um 19:19 Uhr schrieb Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com>:

> Not in those jurisdictions, but it would be useful in jurisdictions where
> it's voluntary. We'd want the usual disclaimer about not mapping
> legislation on the wiki page.

I am more flexible with this rule. Take highway=pedestrian for example. The
wiki page does not explicitly exclude bicycles by default, but it somehow
seems to assume they are excluded (named exceptions are emergency, taxi,
delivery): https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpedestrian
Someone decided that the global default in this table is "no" for bicycles
on pedestrian roads, unless specified differently on a per country level,
like it is currently done for Australia, Belarus, China, France, Finland,
Iceland, Italy, Norway, Philippines, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and USA.
The actual situation in all countries is probably, that additional signs
can allow or forbid bicycles regardless of the default. In this situation
with significant amounts of countries on both sides of the defaults, it
seems reasonable to add an explicit bicycle tag to remove ambiguities and
to be sure.

IMHO we should read the rule in the most permissive sense because I guess
it is mostly there to prevent people from adding all kind of (locally not
verifiable) rules and laws to individual objects, e.g. no spitting on the
floor, no stealing from this yard, etc. without signs indicating it
specifically. It is a slippery slope, because our model does not scale well
for too many attributes (it becomes intransparent for mappers), and there
are no hard rules which tags can be omitted and which not, but ultimately
the harm of tags that some may perceive as redundant, is smaller than
lacking information that could have been present but is not because the
mapper deemed it deducible.

There is surely a lot of stuff that is currently tagged in OSM but for
which there is also a law that makes it a requirement. It would be crazy if
we removed this information just because of this.

Cheers,
Martin