[Tagging] Clinic that does admit inpatients

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 06:56:56 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 at 09:16, Sebastian Gürtler <sebastian.guertler at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Short answer before (after a lot of reading...): According to the wiki and
> the meaning of the english word "clinic": A "clinic" that admits inpatients
> is an "amenity=hospital; healthcare=hospital" ...
>
> Additionally there is the term "Tagesklinik", quite similar to English
> "day hospital" according to wikipedia, an institution which offers a
> typically 5/7 days continuous treatment but without staying there at night
> (e.g. psychiatric or psychosomatic treatment). In Germany it is formally a
> special form of inpatient treatment "teilstationäre Behandlung" with the
> legal status of normal inpatient treatment "vollstationäre Behandlung" for
> employed patients ...
> But one problem remains: what about the day hospitals. In the original
> English wiki page there is no mention of day hospitals but in the german
> "translation" it's written that "amenity=clinic" includes outpatient
> institutions AND day hospitals (which are in Germany formally inpatient
> institutions). The current tagging makes no differences between an "clinic"
> (german: "Ambulanz") and "day hospital" (german: "Tagesklinik") ...
>
> I looked at the tagging practice in Germany: Of 284 Objects with
> "Tagesklinik" in the name there were 103 with amenity=clinic and 25 with
> amenity=hospital; 88 with healthcare=clinic 14 with healthcare=hospital.
> Other taggings: health_facility=hospital/clinic. Of 78 Objects with a given
> speciality there are 52 of the psychiatric area, which are clearly
> "teilstationär" - closer to inpatient than to outpatient treatment, as a
> day hospital, not a "clinic".

I raised concerns about the overriding use of "hospital" some time ago,
after looking at them & finding things like normal medical centres
(including 1 dentist's office!), ambulance stations & even a vet all mapped
as hospitals!

Yes, these are all clearly errors, but we also then have dental hospitals,
day-surgery centres, psychiatric hospitals & such places as drug & alcohol
addiction clinics all tagged as hospitals as well.

Yes, they are all healthcare facilities that treat patients, & some of them
have in-patient facilities, but none of them are places that you can go to
in search of emergency medical treatment.

Is a (possibly?) simple answer to this changing the rendering?

At the moment, all hospitals render with the white cross on a red circle
background, &, in a number of cases, people have tagged the Emergency /
Casualty Ward as another hospital, purely so that it will render.

How about changing it so that "hospital" renders as a white H on a blue
square background (similar to, but also different to, the helipad symbol of
a white H on a blue circle); & then either using the existing white cross
on red (or possibly even changing it to the internationally recognised
white on green first aid symbol?) for Emergency?

Would that work?

(& yes, I know we're talking about ~200000 existing tags!)

Thanks

Graeme