[Tagging] When does highway=footway become highway=pedestrian?

Jass Kurn jasskurn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 18:03:10 UTC 2021

I think this example is a bit more complex if you look into it, and there
are a couple of issues that are worthy of separate discussion thread.

Firstly,  when should highway=footway become a pedestrian area? Ultimately
a subjective decision, but I personally consider whether the way has
widened to beyond 5 meters and whether movement of pedestrians is not
expected to be simply linear. Some pedestrian ways wider than 5m exist
because a common 2m wide footway/sidewalk would not be wide enough to
contain a large number of pedestrians and I would not map these as a
Pedestrian Area. In the given example the location has clearly been widened
to create an area, and I think it is acceptable to map this as an area with
a way mapped through it.

Second issue, specific to this example, is the impact of access to
bicycles. Current, and historic street level imagery shows this location
had a standard approx 2m sidewalk up to 2016 at which time the location was
developed to create the current arrangement. Importantly there are now
statutory "shared use" signs at the entrance to this area/way. This means
there is, with regard to UK legal definitions, no footway/sidewalk present.
The way and area falls legally under the UK legal definition of Cycle Track
(with shared use by pedestrians). The use of "path" is questionable, and
appears controversial for UK mapping, with the most common way to map
statutory Cycle Tracks being to use cycleway tagging, with in this case
pedestrian=yes. The current path was mapped as a cycleway and was only
changed to a path five months ago.

I'd argue the overall highway design of this area is an abomination, and
fortunately statutory highways design guidance issued by the UK Government
in 2020 should mean this mess of a design should not happen again.
Hopefully a clear separated cycleway is created or marked adjacent to the
main road in the near future.

Third issue(?). So I'm arguing the whole area is legally, in the UK, a
Cycle Track shared with pedestrians. So is the pedestrian area tag
suitable? I still argue it was. ( I don't think we have a tag for areas
that are equally pedestrian & cycle areas?). I'd map, or reinstate the
cycleway, and retain the pedestrian area around it with the addition of
bicycle=designated to the area.

Jass