[Tagging] When does highway=footway become highway=pedestrian?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 22:50:30 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 31 Oct 2021, at 00:13, nathan case <nathancase at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Since highway=footway and area=yes isn't documented I was thinking of use a scheme that is documented (area:highway=footway). However, your taginfo link did make me look deeper and it appears that, although not documented, there are ~60k uses of highway=footway, area=yes, so it's clearly well used.

in some countries there are different access restrictions by default for highway=pedestrian (mainly regarding access for bicycles), but Afaik in the UK there is no difference between footway and pedestrian for bikes. To me, pedestrian area seems more appropriate than footway for such a rectangular space, but both seem acceptable.

Cheers Martin