[Tagging] When does highway=footway become highway=pedestrian?

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Sat Oct 30 22:06:22 UTC 2021

> there is no size limit for pedestrian areas (highway=pedestrian and area=yes)

That's true, but it seems odd to call a small portion of sidewalk a "pedestrian road or area" (wiki definition).

> We use area:highway for the surface of a linear/directed highway way. For area=yes (pedestrian)highway areas we do not need area:highway because it would cover the exact same area. The resulting map implications from these combinations seem the same?  There are currently 35k area:highway=footway and 195k h=p with area=yes https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/highway=pedestrian#combinations

You've conflated the two different types of highway. I'm saying I don't think this is a highway=pedestrian based on the approved wiki definition, therefore highway=pedestrian, area=yes doesn't make sense.

Since highway=footway and area=yes isn't documented I was thinking of use a scheme that is documented (area:highway=footway). However, your taginfo link did make me look deeper and it appears that, although not documented, there are ~60k uses of highway=footway, area=yes, so it's clearly well used.
So, it seems (at least to me) we should split the large pedestrian area into smaller areas. But if we do that, is this really a pedestrian area at all?

there is no size limit for pedestrian areas (highway=pedestrian and area=yes)

I’m certainly leaning more towards area:highway=footway or area:highway=cycleway as being the better scheme (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:area:highway%3Dpedestrian)

We use area:highway for the surface of a linear/directed highway way. For area=yes (pedestrian)highway areas we do not need area:highway because it would cover the exact same area. The resulting map implications from these combinations seem the same?
There are currently 35k area:highway=footway and 195k h=p with area=yes https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/highway=pedestrian#combinations

why would we choose the weaker scheme if the meaning is the same?

Cheers Martin