[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Fumarole

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Sep 14 18:01:39 UTC 2021

Sep 14, 2021, 15:15 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>

>> On 14 Sep 2021, at 12:29, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>>
>> 1) I think it should be clarified how inactive fumaroles should be tagged
>> (with this tag? some other? not at all? In the last case people will likely
>> anyway map them as natural=fumarole sooner or later)
>>

> what do you mean by inactive fumarole? If a fumarole is a place where steam and gases emit through the crust of the earth, are all other places where the crust in not permeable inactive fumaroles?

Places which are clearly recognizable/signed as a place where steam/gas was emitted
but is not anymore.

If I understand it right, then https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FunnelFumarole.png
is example of such object

> By the currently proposed definition, there is no risk of inactive fumaroles getting the tag.

natural=tree used to be clearly defined as "Lone or significant tree"
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:natural%3Dtree&oldid=14739

(no idea is it likely that natural=fumarole would end in the same way)

>> 2) is restricting to nodes a good idea? How cases like
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Griggs_Camp.png
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fourpeaked-fumaroles-cyrus-read1.JPG
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kamakura-021_hg.jpg
>> would be tagged?
>>

> right, from reading the WP article I also got the impression that this phenomenon can occur along longer cracks, so ways seem suitable in some cases, as might areas.

I also thought about tagging fumarole groups/fields as an area.

Especially as such structures may be dangerous to survey.