[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Fumarole

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 13:15:02 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 14 Sep 2021, at 12:29, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> 1) I think it should be clarified how inactive fumaroles should be tagged
> (with this tag? some other? not at all? In the last case people will likely
> anyway map them as natural=fumarole sooner or later)

what do you mean by inactive fumarole? If a fumarole is a place where steam and gases emit through the crust of the earth, are all other places where the crust in not permeable inactive fumaroles?
By the currently proposed definition, there is no risk of inactive fumaroles getting the tag.

> 2) is restricting to nodes a good idea? How cases like
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Griggs_Camp.png
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fourpeaked-fumaroles-cyrus-read1.JPG
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kamakura-021_hg.jpg
> would be tagged?

right, from reading the WP article I also got the impression that this phenomenon can occur along longer cracks, so ways seem suitable in some cases, as might areas.

Cheers Martin