[Tagging] Place where one *returns* rental cars

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 21:43:57 UTC 2021

Am Di., 14. Sept. 2021 um 23:09 Uhr schrieb Georg <georg2016 at nurfuerspam.de
>:

> At least https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:amenity=car_rental
> does not put any restriction which area of a rental company may carry
> the tag - the place where you do the rental agreement (nowadays quite
> often on the Internet), where you hand in your driving license etc and
> get the car's papers & keys, where you get the car, where you return the
> car, where the car is parked in between two rentals, where the cars are
> maintained (cleaning, repairs,...). Also in
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcar_rental I do not
> see a clear restriction to any of these areas.

as it is an amenity for renting a car, the place where cars that aren't
currently with the customer are parked, while it may be part of the car
rental, should not get the tag if there is no way to rent a car. Seems
obvious from reading just the tag. I checked and the wiki for car rental is
very short and on point: "Marks a place from which motor cars / automobiles
can be rented."
According to this definition it cannot be used for the parking lots where
you cannot rent the car from.

The German translation had some errors (included trucks and was a
definition of the term car rental rather than a description of the osm tag)
which I just fixed.

Cheers,
Martin