[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC - Pipes/tunnels outlets

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 09:19:32 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Water or several different liquids outlets, coming out some pipe or tunnel
are very common features.
We see them on ground in a large diversity of places and configurations and
they may got special functionality regarding fluid management for
industrial or environmental purposes.

As to extend the description of water ways, pipelines system and man made
infrastructure intended to channel water, I propose to define the outlet=*
tag.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Outlets_proposal

Currently, only liquids are covered here and nothing prevent extending
outlet=* on gases in a further proposal (mainly for air vents). That's why
liquid_outlet=* wasn't chosen for this first step.

This proposal also introduces two new values for valve=* and refers to
outfalls already mapped on OSM with man_made=outfall.

Two main points remain to be discussed:
* Find a proper example (including illustration) for outlet=sock preventing
garbage to go in oceans or rivers
* Find the appropriate threshold to use outlet=* on relevant features only.
We already thought it's not valuable to put outlet=* on every faucet or
fountain.

Feel free to give feedbacks on proposed values and complete them if
necessary.
This is a medium term work and voting is expected to begin in a few months
or weeks.

All the best

François