[Tagging] creameries

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 22 13:33:20 UTC 2021

On 22/09/2021 10:01, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-09-22 at 10:14 +1000, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> But on the whole "map the building as what it looks like" idea, we have
>> building=school.
>>
>> What does "a school building" look like?
>>
> The question is not what does a school building look like but does that
> building look like a school.

But to decide whether "that building looks like a school", you first
have to define "what a school building looks like".

> For example, its now a pub but obviously built as a school.
> https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3678658

Those who advocate this 'typology' form of tagging are a bit confused
whether it's defined by form or function. You're clearly assuming purely
on its appearance. I wish you'd all make up you minds!

To repeat:
"The glass shoe: If that became, say, a bingo hall, & you walked past it
for the first time, how "would _you_ perceive it as a church" "type"?
What knowledge & evidence would you be using?"

DaveF