[Tagging] Deprecation of man_made=well

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:50:18 UTC 2021

Am Mi., 29. Sept. 2021 um 11:00 Uhr schrieb François Lacombe <
fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>:

> Dear all
>
> A recent discussion about boreholes and wells lead me to man_made=well
> page. It is currently deprecated (since January 2016) and encourages using
> man_made=water_well instead.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwell
>
> As water_well isn't a reviewed value for man_made (neither is
> petroleum_well), is there any discussion about well value deprecation that
> can give me reasons about that?
>
> Back in January 2016, water_well was used on approx 60k objects and 40k
> for petroleum_well.

I would say this ship has sailed, there are now man_made=
154284 water_well
145296 petroleum_well
2047 gas_well
1599 oil_well
972 unprotected_well
890 protected_well
877 well

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=man_made%3Dwell

IMHO it was a sensible choice to separate petroleum wells and water wells
already in the main tag.

Cheers,
Martin