[Tagging] Admin Boundary admin_centre or label roles

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Sep 29 16:04:20 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:50 AM Joshua Carlson <jdcarls2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What is the administrative center of a city?
>
> City Hall, I would assume, or whatever similar thing applies. I can't
> speak for others, but basically every incorporated city/village/township
> around me has a designated building in which the administrative officials
> of the entity meet to, y'know, administrate. It's not quite the same as a
> "capitol" or "county seat", which applies to a city itself, but if you
> *had* to tag something as being the administrative center, that's what I
> would use.

That is correct.  The city hall would be the correct thing to have the
"admin_centre" role.  For "label", I usually pick the node representing the
city center, and if I know the address origin location (where all the
addresses in that town count away from), I'll put that node as close to
that as practical.  If it's counting away from another location or it's not
clear, I'll aim for the center of mass (since it's not uncommon for towns
and cities to have long, spidery reaches along a road with everything on
either side of the road not being in town, but the road itself is).

Be aware that city halls are optional and often not something that formally
exists.  I'd hazard to guess that in a decent majority of towns and even
some cities in Oklahoma, it'd be a little weird to tag someone's garage or
house as that'd be the closest a lot of places get to having a town/city
hall. In fact, please don't map such cases unless they're openly
advertising that their home is city hall; they have private lives, too.
While I believe Oklahoma to be a particularly extreme example of this
phenomenon (we are where the phrase "dirt farming poor" comes from 90 years
ago, after all), my experience in other parts of the US and Canada suggests
it's endemic in smaller communities across the continent.