[Tagging] ISCED (2011) tagging for schools

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Jan 22 08:59:46 UTC 2022

Vào lúc 02:43 2022-01-21, Robin Burek đã viết:
> Why not set the isced:level to the 2011-scale as standard and create e.g. a maproulette-challenge to checkup all isced:level (or familar-tags)?
>
> If you take a look at https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=isced, you will see what a patchwork there is, and how many non-numerical values are floating around. In general, it would be a good idea to clean up the mess....

Agreed, ISCED 1997 classifications are technical debt that we need to
work towards eliminating, not a parallel standard that we would want to
maintain in perpetuity or even increase usage of.

The current wiki documentation is inconsistent, giving a "general
description" of ISCED 1997 but using a mix of 1997 and 2011 definitions
for each country. The page should expliictly say that any new
isced:level=* usage should conform to the 2011 standard. Otherwise, some
mappers might gravitate toward the 1997 standard for ostensible
consistency with nearby schools, while others would gravitate toward the
2011 standard because it's newer and better defined.

A MapRoulette challenge would be great for reviewing existing usage. You
could choose a cutoff date after which ISCED 1997 classifications were
unlikely to be entered anymore. This would be easier on a
country-by-country level, where local mappers understand the local
educational system well enough to know what might need to be reclassified.

To avoid repeating this mess in the future when a fourth version of
ISCED comes out, it does make sense to explicitly state the standard
being used. But instead of isced:level:1997=* and isced:level:2011=*,
how about combining isced:level=* with isced:version=1997/2011, for
consistency with public_transport:version=* and population:date=*?

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:PermanentLink/2249181

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us