[Talk-at] in Austria, good experience - thank you!

Stefan Tiran stefan.tiran at student.tugraz.at
Mon Nov 10 09:29:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

Norbert Wenzel wrote:
> On 11/10/2014 07:45 AM, emga at gmx.net wrote:
>> I always thought deleting correct data in osm is kind of forbidden. So i would
>> recommend to leave it in there, its not destroying anything or?
>
> You're missing the point of this discussion. It's not about whether
> correct data should be deleted but about the question if mapping
> parallel footways is actually correct data.

This might be your point of view but I would not consider it as common
sense.

> And if one does not consider
> the separate footways correct data and one feels it destroys valid
> routing (as in Kevin's example) it's easy to delete them without
> violating any OSM rule we all agree upon.

Kevin's example merely shows that asking the wrong question results in
useless answers. If you intend to go the direct line, crossing the
street at an arbitrary point, it does not make sense to use a router in
order to calculate a route on dedicated footways. Instead you should use
the so-called "off-road" navigation mode of your GPS device, which only
shows the direction.

Yours,
Stefan