[talk-au] "place" areas or nodes?

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 11:38:48 BST 2007

Grey areas can also be rendered for landuse=residential

One use for areas is if you have the boundaries for a suburb, state etc
I have permission to deriver the boundaries for several sydney suburbs from
the 'Geographical Names Board' official maps - which means I can add in
fairly
precise boundaries for those suburbs.

On 8/15/07, Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Steve

> On 15/08/2007 at 7:36 PM Steve  wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >What is the preferred method for labeling a city/town/suburb/village?
>

> Rural Towns, villages I have been labeling as a node place at the Post
> Office. I have been using node hamlets for 'localities'. I never use areas.
> I don't think there is a real need for using areas - what do you hope to
> achieve?
>
> Residential streets generate a gray shading that shows on lower zooms, but
> I do not know where the gray areas you mention are coming from. The must be
> being merged in by Mapnik from
>

> Regards,
> Brent.
>

> >I've labeled Bungendore (near Canberra) using just a node but have just
> >ran a rough outline of Queanbeyan and Oaks Estate and created an area
> >instead.
> >Also, I have created an area around Jerrabomberra, which is wholly
> >contained within the Queanbeyan area, and I have labeled it a suburb
> >(this will cause some debate amongst locals no doubt!).
> >
> >I notice that some zoom levels there is already a grey outline around
> >some towns around Canberra, including Queanbeyan. I have no idea who
> >entered that data and can see no evidence of it as a way - and yet there
> >it is. I don't want to ruin or duplicate any existing data.
> >
> >So to summarise my questions:-
> >a) How are you guys labeling towns, etc (are you using nodes or areas)?
> >b) How are those town outlines that appear at high zoom levels on the
> >main map being created?
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any info,
> >
> >Steve.

> 14/08/2007 5:19 PM