[talk-au] : Road Tags - source copyright

Mark Turnbull markkt at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:53:55 GMT 2007

Brent,

Thanks for the info - I kinda thought that was the situation.
The streets that I've added are all in my local area so I have observed the street signs at some time or another - I was just referring to the street directory for handy verification. Is this still a no-no? Should I delete the names that I've already done?

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:47:47 +1100From: b.easton at exemail.com.auTo: talk-au at openstreetmap.orgSubject: Re: [talk-au] Spam: Road Tags - source copyright

Hi Mark,

Copying street names out of street directories is a no-no, it is considered a breach of copyright, even if the original source of the data is public domain. Whether this is in fact the case or not, the OSM community has chosen to err on the side of discretion and it has been agreed that no street names are to be copied from directories or maps that are still in copyright.

Old maps and directories over 50 (?) years old are ok to use as they are now out of copyright.

Regards,
Brent.