[talk-au] Sourcing street names form existing maps

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Sat Nov 24 06:08:19 GMT 2007

I agree - you've definitely got to be cautious - and realistically, you've
got to know the area reasonably well to even start. But scanning the maps,
the majority of main roads are both in place, and the same name - the issue
tends to be smaller streets, courts etc that either disappeared or got
extended etc. Looking in my own area (Brunswick) there's probably 20 streets
that no longer exist, and about 8-10 that have been renamed. But there's
also some interesting stuff - named laneways that are still there, but no
longer bear the name etc.

I've found heaps of errors in Google maps (interesting a few of these were
fixed in te last couple of days), and probably 10 or so in the Melways,
including in one Melways edition what looks like a copyright trap.

Matt