[talk-au] Deleting some GNB names..

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Feb 24 23:29:45 GMT 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Brent Easton wrote:
> It is probably a historical rural hamlet or locality that no longer exists,
> but is still recorded in the GNB database.
>
> If you could find local references to it, I would probably change it to a
> place=locality, otherwise just delete it.
>
> Brent
>
> >I've deleted a few of GNB added names over the past week.  They seem to be
> >rural localities added within Sydney.
> >
> >For example Murphy Heights.
> >
> >It has an entry in Australian Place Names, at ga.gov.au, but
> >
> >+ it is not in the Australian Postcode list
> >+ a google search returns no residences in that suburb
> >+ it is not on the NSW lands dept list of addresses
> >+ there are no signs, or local information referring to the area
> >
> >I'm now suspicious of any of the GNB entries which claim to be rural areas
> >within the Sydney metro.  Anybody see any reason why we need to keep
> > these, or know of their origin/reason for existance?
> >
> >Ian.

I have found some things of historical interest which explain some of these
Ellimo is what the guvmint said it was called
Myall Park is what the locals called it
Climsland is how the Education Dept named the school as Myall Park was already
in use
Myall Park is the only surviving name for the locality.
That's how Ellimo got onto the map from the NSWGNB.