[talk-au] back to the NSW roads problem

Stuart Robinson brainwad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 00:32:33 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> Just been on a long trip on a "State Road"
> And had too much time on the road to consider the classification of NSW
> roads
> The current classification tells us nothing about the road itself, merely
> whether the the State of NSW pays the Council to keep the Road in order,
> or
> if the council does it out of more general funding.

The State Road status is meaningless, but the State Highway shields are
not...

> So in Vic, the A, B, C, does in fact tell you about the road condition.Oris
> meant too.
> Ref VicRoads Drivers guide to Rural Victoria Aug 2002
> so in Vic a 'C' Road "will generally be two lane sealed roads with
> shoulders.
> 'B' Roads will have sealed pavements with two traffic lanes, with good
> centreline and edge linemarking, shoulders and a high standard of
> guidepost
> delineation. Additional overtaking lanes will be provided on higher
> volume 'B' roads to improve road safety and capacity.

One supposes that when the RTA finally unveils these in NSW, they will
reflect the same kind of scheme - ie the Monaro Highway south of Cooma is
being downgraded to B23 IIRC...

> In fact the recent discussion about Adelaide is the same problem - do we
> use
> the classification used by governments with alternate agendas or do we
> mark
> what is there and how people use it?
> That crazy Southern Expressway in Adelaide doesn't even qualify for M
> status
> because it isn't a divided carriageway with 4 traffic lanes.
> (For those who have never seen this piece of engineering, it is one way,
> which
> way depending on the time of day).

I think the Southern Expressway certainly is of M status - just because its
only one carriageway doesn't reduce that carriageway's motorway standards.
It's never two way, so it's fine IMHO. On the other hand, the Cahill
Expressway in Sydney is a bloody joke... no median strip, two lanes each
way, of which only one is a through lane going east...

stuart.

--
Version: 3.1
GCS dpu s: a18 C++ UL++ P+ L(+++) E--- W+++ N-- o+ K? w+++(---) O---- M-- V?