[talk-au] Road numbers in Garmin

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Tue Oct 21 11:21:20 BST 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:53:23 +1100
Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> Nothing says NHxx on the Sturt Highway; but some mappers put NHxx
> down. Can they justify this terminology on the basis of recent
> signage?
>
> sample of highway markers - Mildura
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.1939&lon=142.1734&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF
> sample of highway markers - Renmark
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.2052&lon=140.7778&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF
> sample of highway markers - Gepps Cross, Adelaide
> NHA1, A1, NHA20, A20, NHA16 and A16 all in one small area.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.8242&lon=138.6039&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF

I used NHA20, NHA1 and NHA16 to all refer to the Shields with
'National' on across the top to correlate with the remaing 'National'
Routes being labelled NH20 in the rest of the country. I can tell you
that apart from the Issue of whether NH is approriate for those signs
(N could also be I guess). The area around Gepps Cross is completely
accurate with the signging in the area. The roads maked 'NHxx' all have
'National' Across the top of the shield in those areas. NSW has chosen
to remove all Nationals from what I see online, but SA so far seems to
be keeping them and even new signage is still getting "National".

Hope that makes things a little less murky for you.

--

=b