[talk-au] Mapping bushwalks

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Oct 23 09:51:22 BST 2008

Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:
> Personally I think its these sort of mapping which are going to the most useful in OSM, ie
> as street mapping via Tomtom and Garmin is cheap as..

Tomtom and Garmin are relatively cheap in some ways, but they're not
Free. I can't use either of them the way I want and there's essentially
no possibility of that ever changing. The value of OSM for me is the O.
Even if OSM never quite matches the big players for plain old street
mapping and routing, which is their primary market and my primary use
case, I'll still prefer OSM.

> but tracks like this are what makes this a useful project.
> ie unusual POI's or tracks not captured by commercial maps.

And I can see that people who aren't computer nerds like me and can't
just write their own software see the greatest value in the obscure, the
niche, the data that for a commercial venture is too difficult and too
low return to chase down.

What I like best is that OSM can be both of these things without
compromising on either.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au