[talk-au] Mapping bushwalks

Peter Ross peter at emailross.com
Thu Oct 23 12:52:30 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Gordon Smith <macalba at gmail.com> wrote:
> This example of the use of OSM may be of interest to a few people.
> I've been mapping bushwalks and fire trails in the gorge country
> around where I live:
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
>
> It comes alive, though, if you add the Cycling Map layer:
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-30.7427&lon=152.016&zoom=14&layers=00B0FFF

I agree, it is where I've concentrated my mapping.  Every now and
again I add to Melbourne using the yahoo imagery, but for me the
greatest use has been to map mountain bike trails and bush walks.
What I love is that I can add them to OSM and then upload the garmin
map version of the things that I've added back to the gps.  So next
time I'm back out that way there it all is ready to use on the gps,
and I hope that it will help others as well when they head out back
country.

For me it certainly is my favourite part of osm.

Now you've inspired me to send some links to the bits I've contributed
to the map over the last year.

Lysterfield state mtb course in Melbourne
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.965788841&lon=145.304017067&zoom=14

Werribee gorge walks west of Melbourne
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.6643&lon=144.33877&zoom=15&layers=00B0FTF

The ride/walk up kozzie (hit 75kmph on the way back down on the tarmac, woohoo)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.4554&lon=148.3591&zoom=13&layers=00B0FTF

Glenrock state forest mtb trails in Newcastle
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-32.96075&lon=151.72731&zoom=15&layers=00B0FTF

Anakie gorge west of Melbourne (the gorge itself was already done, I
just turned it into a loop)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.8617&lon=144.25308&zoom=15&layers=00B0FTF

Wombat mtb track north of Melbourne
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-37.4146&lon=144.4972&zoom=14&layers=00B0FTF