[talk-au] GPS recommendation

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 02:17:20 BST 2008

I'm looking for a new GPS, optimised for OSM data collection.  As
such, long battery life would be a plus (that's the main problem with
my current one).  High accuracy is good, but I'm not looking for one
of the professional quality ones (Currently have SIRF3 chip).  Adding
waymarks is not a real plus, I never used it on my old device, so I
wouldn't miss it.  Large amounts of logging memory is good.  I don't
even really need a screen/map display - a pure data logger would be
OK.  As long as it tracks my movement once per second (minimum) and
allows me to download it to a computer easily, I'll be happy.  If it
used AA or AAA batteries, that would be a plus, but not essential as
long as the battery life is long enough.  Oh, and I'd prefer to source
it in Australia, for ease of shipping, maintenance etc, but I'm
willing to go overseas if need be.

I'd prefer to use one that somebody else has used so I know it will be
suitable for OSM.  Any suggestions?

Stephen