[talk-au] Newbie intro

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Aug 23 11:45:23 BST 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Appleton Dale wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> A quick introduction, I'm starting out mapping the blank bits of
> country Victoria round my place, including some of the National Parks
> nearby.  I'm using a combination of iPhone, various Garmin receivers
> and the odd Trimble to do the work.
>
> I've been enjoying reading the discussion on the status of 4WD
> tracks. Here in Vic there are three legal classes of tracks within
> National Parks and State forests: Management Vehicles Only  (MVO),
> seasonally closed and open.  All other signs (4WD, dry weather only)
> are advisory and have no legal status.  I'm not sure how this would
> be best reflected in OSM!
>
> I look forward to learning heaps more here.
>
> Cheers

sorry, i hit send on the wrong email

welcome aboard
we need more thinking about seasonal and unseasonal uses of roads, and other
restrictions like 4wd_only; dry_weather_only

so management vehicles only (and i presume fire trucks too) is another
important restriction.
whether it is legal or advisory is important to Germanic thinkers, less to us.
Now we understand better how we get those Europeans doing stupid things on our
roads - it wasn't illegal, it was only advisory :-$