[talk-au] Navteq mapping AU

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:54:38 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:44 AM, John Smith <delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com>wrote:

> --- On Wed, 26/8/09, Matt White <mattwhite at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Probably been looking at the quality
> > of the OSM data...
> >

> http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/cartech/mapping-australia-one-road-at-a-time-20090825-extj.html
>
> NavTeq still has the same problem as google, they only map streets and
> street related information, they don't do foot paths, cycle ways, bridle
> ways, mountain bike tracks, hiking tracks and so on and so on.

I've RTFA ;)

To build Navteq's pedestrian mapping product called Discover Cities, field
agents use hand-held PDAs to collect data.

“We walk the streets and parks on foot, or sometimes ride a pushbike, making
note of all pedestrian pathways, footpaths, pedestrian crossings, street
lights and any pedestrian stairs, ramps or elevators to name a few. We also
map and capture the attributes for the major transit stops such as Metro
Rail, ferries and taxi stands,” Newton said.