[talk-au] Australia BP service station dataset - suitable for bulk import?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:23:50 GMT 2009

2009/12/10 Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au>:
> People don't starve for a worldwide lack of food, they starve because the
> excess of food is in the wrong place, ie, not their belly. This is caused
> by world politics, corruption, local warlords, complete lack of central
> government in some places, etc, and the application of more food in places
> that already have enough won't fix any of that.

Even we're suffering from gross mismanagement when it comes to things
like water.

> unsustainable industry. They won't let that go. Your solution still isn't
> carbon neutral either because you're burning coal, but that's a hell of a
> lot better than burning coal *and* oil. Our only feasible truly carbon

We're already burning coal and/or other things (cane waste/gas/etc),
might as well make use of the by products of burning it.

> neutral options are solar and nuclear. Solar's expensive and nuclear
> scares the NIMBYs even though it releases less radioactive waste than
> burning coal.

Not only is solar expensive but it doesn't work too well at night and
there is no storage method that isn't horribly expensive or inefficent
or even capable of sustaining grid levels of power when the sun is
down. Same goes for wind and virtually every other form. Nuclear and
coal is the only options that aren't going to bankrupt everyone trying
to produce energy from, it's a shame that the current govt is more
interested in taxing everyone than doing things properly.