[talk-au] Sports Clubs

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:36:14 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> So... sports_centre for the actual sporting facilities, something_club
>> for the commercial bit? Maybe social_club? "club_rooms", while it
>> sounded good for the buildings members genuinely use for their
>> meetings and stuff, doesn't sound right for a building the public
>> comes to for a feed.
>
> As covered before, you should be a member to use the club and it's
> facilities (the restaurant etc), which is why they are member(ship)
> club(s), so amenity=member_club.

Thought I might chip in.... to me this seems to be a matter of trying
to cram a complex and ambiguous meaning into a single tag. I couldn't
help but be reminded of the footway/cycleway situation. Is it not
possible to *tag* what we are trying to indicate (using more than one
tag if necessary), rather than to create a *definition in the wiki*
that says what we're trying to indicate (and using a single tag)?

For example, take a close look at the proposed definition of
"member_club" - is it in the form of "if A and B and C, it's a
member_club"? If so, isn't it a better solution to *tag* A and B and
C? There's no need to create complex definitions. So why do it?