[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:30:07 GMT 2009

[snip]

> Apparently there was a big push for unification of suburb & postcode
> boundaries
> a few years back by the governmental spatial agencies. I believe it hasn't
> been
> completed, parts of NT didn't correspond.
>
> Given the electoral boundaries, it shows the limits of the admin_level
> tagging
> system, as Australia is like the UK, where it's more of a hierarchy (think
> different areas like councils/suburbs/postcodes/parishes/electoral/state).
> think there are even examples in Australia of suburbs crossing state lines.

Yep, this is documented in the ABS data set.

> BTW, I love the fact we can finally use this data, but is it all ok
> copyright
> wise? I remember reading that is costs an arm & a leg to get postcode
> boundaries
> from Australia post, and here we are getting it for free from the ABS & can
> be
> used for commercial purposes. Wonder if it is because of some law that
> states
> all ABS data is free, even if it comes from behind non-open doors (like
> Geoscience Australia). Hope my gut feeling is just what I had for lunch :P

I am working on the basis that the ABS have ok'd the usage (in writing) and
when
I spoke to the lady at the ABS I was confident she had a thorough
understanding
of the issues.

So, I think we can legitimately claim that we acted in good faith. And
proper tagging
should allow us to remove said data in the worst case.

> BlueMM

Franc