[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Thu Feb 5 09:00:46 GMT 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:19:57 +0000 (UTC)
BlueMM <bluemm1975-osm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Apparently there was a big push for unification of suburb & postcode
> boundaries a few years back by the governmental spatial agencies. I
> believe it hasn't been completed, parts of NT didn't correspond.

Yeah I know it all lines up here in SA (dont know if it ever hasn't
actually) but I wasn't sure about other states. Interesting to note
some places it doesnt.

> Given the electoral boundaries, it shows the limits of the
> admin_level tagging system, as Australia is like the UK, where it's
> more of a hierarchy (think different areas like
> councils/suburbs/postcodes/parishes/electoral/state). I think there
> are even examples in Australia of suburbs crossing state lines.

I think the admin_level setup is more in the idea of international
consistency, so similar types of areas with radically different local
name can be at similar admin levels.

Of course I only found out recently not only does S.A. have Hundreds
as a land administration boundary but they also have Counties. Of
course sourcing that information for a free source could be extremely
tricky :D

--

=b