[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Thu Feb 5 10:46:02 GMT 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 21:12:31 +1030
Darrin Smith <beldin at beldin.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:53:01 +1030
> Cameron <osm-mailing-lists at justcameron.com> wrote:
>
> > How much do suburbs change anyway? Perhaps any changes could simply
> > be introduced manually.
> > ~Cameron
>
> Yeah I did think that might be an easier solution, I was addressing
> automatic updates because jackb brought them up :) And as soon as we
> modify them in any way (align with road for example) I think it
> probably comes out the more appealing however we put it in initially.
>
> I know for example the SA Gazette tends to provide information about
> suburb boundary changes, probably before they make into the ABS
> structures. I imagine the other states have similar channels.

Futher to this I was looking back through this thread (thinking maybe
about having a look at the data myself) and I James said:

It's described as "These boundaries have been based upon localities
gazetted by the Geographic Place name authority current at the time of
the Census."

So it's always going to be out-of-date anyway and updated every 4
years, it's not going to change often. But it's a much better start
than what we have now :)

--

=b