[talk-au] Petition to MP

Delta Foxtrot delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 06:02:12 BST 2009

--- On Mon, 15/6/09, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> And the problem with importing things
> like roads from government databases is that they are the
> gazetted road position not the actual on ground road
> position.  That's why google maps etc are so often
> incorrect.

I realise the gazetted information will be inaccurate, you only have to glance at my emails on state borders. I also realise that landsat plotting is inaccurate due to both course imagery and incorrect alignment, I've noticed the alignment also changes depending where you have the map positioned before requesting yahoo sat images.

What I've known for a long time is how beneficial the tiger data set has been to projects in the US, to accelerate interest if nothing else to fix the mistakes!

Even though it's inaccurate it plots something, being picky over data in metro areas is fine because you have so many options to pick from, the same can't be said for all areas of the country.

Additionally the Austrian govt has released data, they rationalised this because the data they get back in return would be more accurate, and the net cost of the loss of revenue verses the cost to aquire more accurate data is probably up there as well.