[talk-au] Newbie - Landuse and Administrative Boundary

Rick Peterson ausrick at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 17 06:54:05 BST 2009

Hi Folks,

I’m a newcomer to the OSM project with a couple of questions.

BACKGROUND:
I recently traced and added the streets of my village and surrounding
areas to OSM (Bowen Mountain NSW).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.582&lon=150.6326&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-33.582&lon=150.6326&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF>

I notice that there is two items on the map surrounding Bowen Mountain;
1. boundary=administrative, source = ABS_2006
2. landuse=forest

I see that the administrative boundary tightly follows the layout of the
streets once I uploaded my GPS trace and added the street data.
Comparatively, I see that the suburb of Bowen Mountain is considerably
larger than the boundary as shown when inspecting the Spatial
Information Exchange website run by the NSW Department of Lands.

The landuse=forest area overlaps both the administrative boundary and
the streets in the village. I’m assuming this item might be an attempt
to represent the Blue Mountains National Park which does indeed surround
Bowen Mountain; however my understanding is that it does not include any
privately owned land, and that there is a crown land buffer zone for
recreational use before the National Park begins.

Questions:
How can I adjust these features to more accurately represent them on the
map?

I’m confident that the Blue Mountains National Park does not encroach
within the boundary=administrative as it exists currently, so is it ok
to move the landuse=forest outside of that existing boundary without any
current knowledge as to exactly where the National Park boundary lays?

I’d much prefer to edit the data to improve the accuracy of the
information, rather than just push things back out of the way!

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick

PS: The OSM project rules, I’m running routable OSM maps on my Garmin
GPS and the quality of the data is awesome!!