[talk-au] How to map out streets the most efficently

Delta Foxtrot delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 23:30:51 BST 2009

--- On Wed, 17/6/09, Sean <4ey0llz02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> This is what I do.  I use paper
> maps to plan my route.  I also take them
> with me so I stay on that route or to make changes to my
> route.  I also
> use the maps on the GPS and the track log.  As you
> driving around the
> track log shows on screen so I know what streets I've
> done.  I use a PDA
> to voice record the street names and spelling.  When
> at home I load the
> track log into Google Earth to see if I have missed any
> streets.  If so

I have printed copies of maps as backups as I know for a fact some areas I'll be going have no phone network coverage, and my phone doesn't do next G or yes G (850 and 900Mhz respectively), and I don't think voda differentiates their 3G on 2100Mhz and their 900Mhz service they're launching by the end of August.

> I will plan it into my route next time.  One of the
> most important
> things I do is turn off "Follow Road" in the track log
> setting otherwise
> my tack log WILL NOT BE ACCURATE.

The software I'll be using doesn't have that feature to turn on :) and gmaps must be using a diff datum in areas because the GPS readings doesn't match their maps.