[talk-au] New to mapping in Perth, WA

Arie Paap wildmyron at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 04:35:49 GMT 2009

Hello,

I've just discovered osm and would like to introduce myself. I live in
Stoneville[1] and work at Edith Cowan University in Joondalup[2] so travel a
fair distance every day (by varying routes). It seems that there has been a
lot of work getting roads mapped in Perth with a lot of it sourced from
Yahoo imagery but there doesn't seem to be much detail or annotation in a
lot of areas. I am interested in contributing to the map in Western
Australia but I'm uncertain about tagging for a lot of things. For example,
I used to live in Greenmount and drove around part of the suburb to survey
road names. Most of the roads don't have a source tag and most don't have
gps tracks. The odd road has source=Yahoo. So I'm wondering is it worth
adding source:name=survey to the roads I've named. And in general is it
worth trying to remedy the lack of source information.

I've read through some pages on the wiki (in particular: Map Features, the
Australian tagging guidelines and the Western Australia specific page -
which seems very out of date) and I'm struggling to see a clear path. I've
also read quite a few threads on this list and the main talk list and it's
apparent that there isn't a consensus about consistent tagging, but I would
like to know what other people on this list are doing, particularly in WA.

Regards,

Arie.

[1]
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-31.8722&lon=116.1686&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF(mostly