[talk-au] New to mapping in Perth, WA

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Nov 3 04:48:52 GMT 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Arie Paap wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just discovered osm and would like to introduce myself. I live in
> Stoneville[1] and work at Edith Cowan University in Joondalup[2] so travel
> a fair distance every day (by varying routes). It seems that there has been
> a lot of work getting roads mapped in Perth with a lot of it sourced from
> Yahoo imagery but there doesn't seem to be much detail or annotation in a
> lot of areas. I am interested in contributing to the map in Western
> Australia but I'm uncertain about tagging for a lot of things. For example,
> I used to live in Greenmount and drove around part of the suburb to survey
> road names. Most of the roads don't have a source tag and most don't have
> gps tracks. The odd road has source=Yahoo. So I'm wondering is it worth
> adding source:name=survey to the roads I've named. And in general is it
> worth trying to remedy the lack of source information.
>
> I've read through some pages on the wiki (in particular: Map Features, the
> Australian tagging guidelines and the Western Australia specific page -
> which seems very out of date) and I'm struggling to see a clear path. I've
> also read quite a few threads on this list and the main talk list and it's
> apparent that there isn't a consensus about consistent tagging, but I would
> like to know what other people on this list are doing, particularly in WA.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arie.
>

> [1]
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-31.8722&lon=116.1686&zoom=14&layers=B000
>FTF(mostly unmapped)
> [2]
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-31.7474&lon=115.773&zoom=14&layers=B000F
>TF
welcome to OSM
if you have surveyed, please note it as surveyed, or if you wish, gps
source:name=survey is very useful

hopefully one of the WA mappers will contact you and give you somehelp with
the nitty-gritty of mapping because it is easiest person-to-person
of course if you ask here, we guarantee at least 2 opinions

:)