[talk-au] Missing Motorway names

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sat Apr 10 00:06:00 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 22:24 +1000, Richard Colless wrote:
> No, it's called the M5 motorway from where it starts near the airport
> right through to a point a few kilometres SW of Liverpool. There are
> signs saying "M5 motorway" right along this section, and at the end of
> the motorway there is a sign that says "Thank you for travelling on
> the M5".

Do you wish for the Hume Highway to be referred to as M31 too?  What
about the princes highway being referred to as M1?  If you dont like how
your software works, then change it...

> At that point, its designation changes to F5 - F for Freeway, meaning
> no toll.

Why do some people have such difficulty with the meaning of the word
'free'?  It *CAN* mean you pay no money, but (and especially in the OSM
context), 'free' means freedom.

>From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeway

>> consequently, the term freeway is sometimes used to refer to a
>> toll-free road as opposed to its original meaning – in which the
>> component "free" implies freedom from traffic interference rather
>> than "at no cost" – still used in other countries and in parts of the
>> U.S.

So, in other words.. yes, in some parts of the United States, freeway is
implied to mean no toll, whereas in most of the US (and the rest of the
world), freeway means the traffic flows free from restrictions,
regardless of tolls.

> The section east of King Georges Rd is referred to as "M5 East", but
> only for traffic reports.

Im sure traffic reports also talk about 'congestion in the city' rather
than 'congestion in haymarket and wynyard'.  That doesnt mean we should
change suburb boundary names for the area to 'City' instead of
'Haymarket'.

> The M4 motorway has just ceased to be a toll road (a few weeks ago),
> but as far as I know, there are no plans to change its numerical
> description.

I was under the impression that road number designations were moving
TOWARDS the Mx (plus A/B/C) standard, not away from it.

David