[talk-au] Mini Roundabouts.

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Sun Apr 25 09:18:19 BST 2010

On 25/04/10 16:56, Liz wrote:

> we don't have [mini roundabouts] legally
> they don't exist in the australian road rules
> and some mappers claim to have seen them
> but i haven't seen one yet

Having just done a bit of research, I agree.  The Aust Road Rules define
a roundabout:

"A roundabout is an intersection:
(a) with either:
(i) one or more marked lanes, all of which are for the
use of vehicles travelling in the same direction
around a central traffic island; or
(ii) room for 1 or more lines of traffic travelling in
the same direction around a central traffic island;
and
(b) with or without a roundabout sign at each entrance."

And (importantly):

"traffic island means a structure on a road to direct traffic, but does
not include a road marking or painted island."

John H