[talk-au] Mini Roundabouts.

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 04:13:46 BST 2010

On 25 April 2010 18:18, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
> Having just done a bit of research, I agree.  The Aust Road Rules define
> a roundabout:
>
> "A roundabout is an intersection:
> (a) with either:
> (i) one or more marked lanes, all of which are for the
> use of vehicles travelling in the same direction
> around a central traffic island; or
> (ii) room for 1 or more lines of traffic travelling in
> the same direction around a central traffic island;
> and
> (b) with or without a roundabout sign at each entrance."
>
> And (importantly):
>
> "traffic island means a structure on a road to direct traffic, but does
> not include a road marking or painted island."
>
> John H

Good.  So now you've proved that a painted circle on the round is not
a roundabout in Australia.  We agree on that.

The question is, what is it?  I say it's a mini-roundabout - that's
pretty much the definition of what one is.  Just because the
Australian road rules don't have a section on them, doesn't mean they
don't exist.

You're right that most of what are are being marked as
mini-roundabouts in Australia are not.  But there are a few that
really are. A very few.

Stephen