[talk-au] Mini Roundabouts.

Ben Kelley ben.kelley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 05:38:56 BST 2010

Hi.

Although I know this issue has probably been done to death, I wonder if it
is true that there is any difference from a routing point of view between a
roundabout and a mini roundabout.

Consider this one:

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-33.891579,151.134924&z=21&t=k&nmd=20100316

This is currently a real roundabout in OSM, but local knowledge tells me
that it is impossible to go around more than about 90 degrees at this
intersection. That is, from any approach, you can turn left or right.

For most vehicles, the roundabout is not big enough to go back the way you
came (180 degrees).

Is that a significant difference though? You could easily and legally go
back the way you came on a motorbike. If you were driving a semi-trailer the
roundabout would need to be MUCH bigger before it wasn't mini from a routing
point of view.

Personally I can live with the agree-to-disagree approach. I'm not about to
go changing any non-minis to minis, but if the roundabout was small enough
it wouldn't really bother me if someone changed it to a mini.

 - Ben.