[talk-au] FYI I removed a whole bunch on nodes where ways existed for the same object.

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Tue Aug 31 07:56:49 BST 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:47:16 +1000
Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The OSM Mapnik style used on the main page renders names on the way
> (so we see duplicate names).

Does not show up here.  I see only one name "Campbell Primary School".  Cyclemap and Osmarender show both names at maximum zoom.

> Nominatim on the main page picks up both the way name and node name,
> hence the same object is listed twice in the results list.

This occurs with anything where there is multiple objects with the same name eg roads split into numerous sections.

> Osmarender appears to render the way name, but not the node name
> (which is okay because deleting the node won't change anything here).

As with mapnik it depends on what's turned on/off to render.

Seriously I think you should leave them be.  If you add new objects then only add the way or node as appropriate.

As I said before a more useful QA would be to ensure straight roads are straight and do not have excessive nodes.

--
Cheers
Ross