[talk-au] Canberra - last white spot on the map

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sun Feb 7 00:41:38 GMT 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 21:27 +1100, Liz wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, John Smith wrote:
> > I've just made a bulk upload of Coles Express locations from their website:
> >
> > http://www.colesexpress.com.au/store-locator/gps-poi.aspx
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/3803645
> >
> > Most likely there will be duplicates just as there were when the BP
> > locations were imported, unfortunately Coles Express only gives a name
> > + location, and not the rest of the information like BP does.

Other than adding a couple of nodes where they werent before, does this
import make much difference?  At least the BP import had a bunch of data
associated with each node.

> I didn't see any copyright notice (nor did I download) but the following
> sounds like they wouldn't care about using the list in OSM

>From the 'website terms and conditions' link at bottom of the page..

> Copyright and Trade Marks
> The contents of this site (including text, graphics, photographs,
> layout, sound files and video files) are copyright and may be
> registered or unregistered trade marks. The copyright / trade marks
> are owned by Coles Express or a related body corporate, or licensed
> from third parties. You may electronically copy and print hard copies
> of parts of this site to the extent necessary for lawful, personal,
> non-commercial use that is consistent with the purposes of this site.
> Except as permitted by law or the express written permission of Coles
> Express, any other use of this site or trade marks, including the
> reproduction, modification, communication or display of contents or
> trade marks, is strictly prohibited.

Does OSM fit into 'personal, non-commercial use'?  It doesnt sound like
it would be that difficult to get permission from them for the dataset
properly though, and youd possibly end up with data from shell not just
coles express.