[talk-au] Hiking tracks: foot=yes or foot=designated?

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Tue Feb 23 10:09:00 GMT 2010

John Smith wrote:
> On 23 February 2010 19:46, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
>> But part of that track goes through wilderness areas, where track
>> markers aren't permitted.  Should we be even mapping those sections,
>> thereby helping create an erosion/"localised overuse" threat?
>
> Are they marked on official maps, or at least maps easily accessible
> to those likely to use those walking tracks?

Yes, some.  But in extremely low resolution so that any two parties are
most unlikely to pick the same exact route.

That's very unlike the OSM situation, where the resolution allows an
exactly identical path to be taken every time.

>From a life threatening/emergency worker point of view, having them
> mapped could mean they potentially save a life.

If they're not confident, or travelling in a small or inexperienced
party, they should be carrying a PLB/EPIRB.

John H