[talk-au] admin boundaries on garmin

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 23:25:37 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM,  <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> I used my garmin oregon 550 in the car on the way to Canberra yesterday.
> Messed up a bit because i hadn't put a routable map on it, so had Navit on
> the netbook on the passengers seat to assist me.
> However I noted that the OSM map on the Garmin clearly shows the admin
> boundaries with names - I was seeing the postcode or suburb boundaries
> (not sure which). Not helpful overall on a small screen.
> Anyone else got any comments (do we change our admin boundaries or deal
> with mkgmap)

This isn't so much a Garmin issue as an issue in how you convert OSM
to Garmin. Presumably you're downloading the converted maps from
http://osmaustralia.org/downloads.php . Now, I've talked to Matt White
about that issue (and a few others - notably buildings don't render),
and he knows and agrees, and has sent me the relevant files to fix,
but neither of us has had the time to do anything about it. I'm very
interested in improving this stuff, but just can't find the time atm.

Anyway, try giving Matt a buzz (matt at osmaustralia.org) and maybe he can help.

Steve