[talk-au] Invisible POI's

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Sun Jan 3 18:49:10 GMT 2010

Richard Colless wrote:
> The trip to Timor Caves went well - now have "tourist" POI's for four of
> the caves, although it's a brave tourist that will use them.
>
> Also managed to survey most of the streets of Murrurundi, NSW.
>
> During this job, I noticed some interesting POI's. Just North of
> Murrurundi, there is a speed camera that someone has added. It's visible
> when in Edit mode (Potlatch or JOSM), but doesn't show in the View mode.
> It also didn't appear on my Garmin when I approached it.

Likewise, I've added a few speed cameras around Canberra, and they're
invisible.

My Garmin Nuvi doesn't recognise them either.  I strongly suspect that
there's something proprietary about Garmin's own speed camera data,
(where or how it's stored in the GPS).  It is after all a Garmin
"separately-priced product".

> The relevant map is:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-31.76424&lon=150.83552&zoom=15
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-31.76424&lon=150.83552&zoom=15>
>
> The speed camera is just north of the Pages River Caravan Park (very
> nice park, we can recommend it to visitors). Surely a speed camera is
> something you would want to show up on your GPS. Is there anything that
> can be done to make it appear?
>
> I added in a POI for a nearby mountain (Wallabadah Rock - East of
> Murrurundi), and it appears on the View mode and on the GPS. So does the
> Shell service station that I added. What's different about a speed
> camera? Or, for that matter a feature tagged as "cave_entrance" - they
> don't show up in View mode either?

Likewise for waterway=waterfall and a host of other things.  If
appropriate, giving a POI a name and adding the tourism=attraction tag
will render it at high zoom levels.

John