[talk-au] OSM in Haiti

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:52:11 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:56 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/14 Jim Croft <jim.croft at gmail.com>:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti#2010_Earthquake_Response
>> http://blog.ushahidi.com/index.php/2010/01/13/haiti-earthquake/
>
> I'm not trying to detract from how badly off people are in Haiti...
> but nothing like this occurred when Australia had those really bad
> fires recently.

There's an international charter "On Cooperation To Achieve The
Coordinated Use Of Space Facilities In The Event Of Natural Or
Technological Disasters". It did get activated for the Australian
bushfires but the USGS were the only ones to act on it and there's no
published imagery:
http://www.disasterscharter.org/web/charter/activation_details?p_r_p_1415474252_assetId=ACT-244

The Haiti response is a lot more open and thus OSM is able to gain the
required access to help:
http://www.disasterscharter.org/web/charter/activation_details?p_r_p_1415474252_assetId=ACT-287

If we could have helped with mapping, we would have. The CFA already
have several GIS projects/officers to track and manage fire
incidences: http://bit.ly/5SDJEg