[talk-au] cc-by not compatible with ODBL ?

James Livingston lists at sunsetutopia.com
Thu Jul 8 09:15:55 BST 2010

On 08/07/2010, at 7:13 AM, Liz wrote:
> I don't think that they are compatible.
> My experience of law is small and it is an opinion only.

I thought (and hoped) that the attribution requirements of ODbL would satisfy the requirements of CC-BY, but I'm not a lawyer.

> Certainly we would have to negotiate with federal and state governments to be
> sure that the imported stuff (coastline, boundaries, national parks etc) could
> stay.

Which brings up the Contributor Terms. Even if it is compatible, we need to either get them to agree to the CTs (very unlikely) or get an exemption from requiring that. I asked on legal-talk a while ago about who gets those exemptions and how, but got no answer - I'll post again in a few minutes.