[talk-au] Incorrectly expanding abbreviations

Ben Kelley ben.kelley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 08:25:18 GMT 2010

I'm not sure it's really worth the Wiki page.

"St." is a perfectly valid abbreviation of "Saint". While "St." is very
commonly used in Australia (written and spoken - "snt"), if someone changes
a name from "St." to "Saint", is it really necessary to change it back?

Most of the modern signs for St./Saint Mary's Cathedral (Roman Catholic
cathedral in Sydney) say "ST MARY'S CATHEDRAL" although the stonework says
"St. Mary's Cathedral".

St./Saint James's church (nearby) that St James station is named after seems
to be called "St. James" while the station seems to be called "St James"
(and not "St James Railway Station" but let's not go there).

While I don't think it's particularly necessary to expand abbreviations for
names (or contract for that matter), I certainly don't think it is invalid
to do so.

 - Ben.